Q: Do Qoppa’s PDF library products support XFA in interactive forms?
A: Qoppa’s libraries support the following technology for interactive forms:
- Acroform PDF Forms: Full support in all our library products for parsing, importing and exporting data, rendering, filling forms visually, assembling, etc….
- A Mix of Acroform and Static XFA PDF Forms: Full support in all our library products for parsing, importing and exporting data, rendering, filling forms visually, assembling, etc….
- Dynamic XFA PDF Forms:
- Our Java libraries jPDFProcess and jPDFFields can import data (“XDP data”) in dynamic XFA forms. This process is also called form data merging.
- Our Java libraries products jPDFProcess and jPDFFields can export data (“XDP data”) from dynamic XFA forms.
- jPDFViewer, jPDFNotes, jPDFImages, jPDFPrint can NOT render dynamic XFA forms.
Our position regarding LiveCycle Dynamic XFA Forms
These are complex and uncommon PDF forms that are designed to be rendered dynamically from the drawing and layout information present in the XFA definition. This kind of forms are not widely supported and only a couple of vendors are able to render them. We are still trying to decide whether or not we will add support for LiveCycle XFA forms in a future version of our libraries. It seems that even Adobe is moving away from these forms. Adobe did not add support for them on mobile (Android, IOS) and are asking their enterprise customers to convert them to HTML5 to allow rendering in the browser.